Tuesday 17 November 2009

AGM

May and Margo-click to enlarge Past Captain May Hughes presents flowers to Past President Margo Bauer
The LLCGA AGM was held at Cambuslang Golf Club for the 25th year in succession last night. Below are some excerpts from the proceedings.
Captain May Hughes opened the meeting by announcing the untimely deaths of three members, Chris Pyne of Cambuslang and Sandyhills, Linda McDonald of Cambuslang and Mary Fleming of Hamilton and Bothwell Castle.
Chris was for many years a regular competitor in County Competitions, winning the Bronze Trophy in 1985, a number of spoons in both silver and bronze and a number of foursome competitions, the last in 1997.
In recent years she was not fit enough to play but remained an Associate Member and liked to keep up with what was happening in the County.
Linda was a Past Captain of Cambuslang and was also the Park Trophy Rep., a position which requires dedication. She also played competitive golf for Cambuslang and participated in many county events.
Mary was a fiercely competitive lady who loved her golf and her football. Apparently she excelled at both sports and was a great supporter of a certain team towards the east end of Glasgow.
She also took the time to support Hamilton Golf Club at Park Trophy matches. Laterally her failing health dictated that she could no longer play as much golf as she would have liked.
All three ladies were well respected members of Lanarkshire and will be sorely missed.
Captain's Report by May Hughes

It has been a very busy year. My first draft of this report lasted approximately 25 minutes. You will however be pleased to learn that I have made an attempt to summarize the details. My apologies if I miss anyone or anything out
March
We kicked off our season and centenary celebrations with a dinner at Kirkhill Golf Club. A total of 105 members and guests attended the event and enjoyed a delightful meal and sampled more than a few bottles of our centenary wine.
The feed back was positive in that, phone calls, emails, texts, cards and letters were received conveying thanks from over 50 ladies. We will mark that down as a success.
April
Our county championship was held at Drumpellier Golf Club, where Fiona Norris played some exceptional golf to beat Joanna Scott in the final and lift her third county title.
Pat Hutton was the first winner of our centenary Salver with a fine 76 in the qualifying round.
The bronze lady was won by Caroline Smith of Strathaven.
May
TheScottish was held at Southerness and for the first time a new trophy was introduced for the best County team at the event. I am delighted to report that Lanarkshire is the first name to be inscribed on the Kathleen McNeil trophy. Well done to Susan Wood, Pamela Pretswell and Elaine Cuthill.
The scratch award at the Inter county foursomes at Pollock Golf Club was won by Lesley Lloyd and Fiona Scott and at the West Championship at Prestwick our team of Pamela Pretswell, Lesley Lloyd and Susan Wood won the team event. Well done girls.
June
We were fortunate to host the west inter county matches at Strathaven and everything that was within our control was carried out exceptionally well.
Even the weather was more than kind to us with the mercury hitting 27 degrees at one point.
Our team however did not have one of their better weeks but I cannot fault their 100% effort and I am sure they will be up for the fight next year at Kilmacolm.
My thanks also to all our caddies who continue to be worth their weight in gold.
The Kennedy Salver was hosted by D and A at Clober. Their prayer mat is obviously not as reliable as ours as the weather was quite horrific but amazingly play was not abandoned.
Our juniors did well to complete the course and hopefully the experience has n’t scarred them for life.
July
Colville Park was the venue for the Morison and Black Jack Cups, the winners being Susan Wood and Sandy Williamson.
The junior championship also took place with several girls competing. Nicole Benson of Cawder was the eventual winner of the scratch cup with Alexandra Duffy of Cathkin Braes lifting the handicap award.
Later in July Emma Caddow of Colville Park was the winner of Nancy’s Cup.
August
Our tri-am was again very well supported here at Cambuslang when 28 ladies enjoyed a great day with brilliant sunshine. A total of £190 was raised and can I thank everyone for their continuing support of this event. It really is a fun day out.
We held our centenary Texas scramble at Bothwell Castle. A text message at 5.50am to advise me that the course may be flooded was n’t the best start to the day but again we were fortunate, the heavy rain went off and 90 ladies enjoyed a friendly game followed by a buffet lunch.
Some of our more senior me
mbers also took part in a fiercely competitive putting competition. And I do mean fierce. Such was their enjoyment that we will try to repeat the event at some point next season.
Our autumn meeting was thankfully played this year, although the rain did threaten to spoil the day. The sun shone very slightly and 38 ladies enjoyed a day out at Carnwath. The winners were Pam Rice and Susan Wood.
September
South Lanarkshire Council held a civic reception to mark 100 years of our association. 80 ladies attended and enjoyed a first class meal and a few drinks with the provost and some of the councillors. It was a great night and a fitting end to a year that has been enjoyable in all respects.
Pamela Pretswell
Pamela continues to keep Lanarkshire on the amateur map.
West of Scotland Champion
Winner of the Ricarton Rosebowl
Runner-up in the British Open Amateur Championships.
Joint 4th in European Championships
Joint 7th in the British Open Stroke Play
Member of the GB and I Vagliano Trophy Team
Member of the Scottish International Team and
She has recently been named in the squad for the Curtis cup in 2010. We wish her well.
Janice Paterson kept the senior flag flying with a fine finish at the senior Irish Open in September and was the first winner of the senior trophy at the Ricarton Rosebowl.
Our vice captain (soon to be captain in a few minutes time) reduced her handicap to scratch, hopefully she will find the time to keep it at this level during the next 2 years.
Our Juniors
My thanks to Margaret for all her hard work as junior convener. Organising the girls takes a lot of time but I know the girls enjoy the team events and I certainly appreciate her commitment.
Our juniors continue to make great improvements.
A training day was held at Lanark earlier in the year.
This consisted of a coaching lesson with Alan White and 9 holes with some of our county team players and our very own European Tour Player, Clare Queen.
The juniors were very impressed and our thanks to Clare for taking the time out of a busy schedule to help out.
Before I finish I would like to say a few words about our committee. I am pleased to confirm that Jean Macintyre has agreed to stay on as secretary. I have said it before but I will say it again. Jean Mac is quite simply the best and has kept me right on more than one occasion.
Pam Rice is doing a great job as treasurer and will continue to be the custodian of our cheque book. Committee members who also remain are Angela Devine, Susan Wood, Anne Lloyd and Jane Lees.
My thanks for all your assistance ladies during my term in office.
Due to retire are Elaine Cuthill, Margaret Noblett our junior secretary and Liz Lees our social convener. I am indebted to all three ladies for continuing commitment during their time in office.
Margaret has done a power of work with our juniors and has left us with a very healthy junior section which will ensure our association will continue to prosper. Margaret has in turn asked me to offer her thanks to myself and to past captain Elizabeth Nelson for support during her term in office. I am sure I also speak for Elizabeth when I say to Margaret, it was a pleasure.
Elaine has always shown willing to assist with the girls and I know the juniors have been inspired by stories of her experiences in the west girls.
Liz Lees has great organizational skills and has been responsible for the success of our fund raising events over the past six years. All events have naturally run smoothly. We now have new members willing to take over and I thank them in advance for the good works they will no doubt do.
My thanks also to Margo Bauer our centenary president.
Margo has attended all our golf and social events and has carried out her tasks with the greatest of ease and with the grace and style that only Margo could.
All in all the year has been a success. The extra events have given all of us the chance to socialize and play golf with some of the members that we may not usually have had the chance to. I am confident that this camaraderie will continue.
From a personal point of view I have been fortunate to meet old and new friends from other counties throughout the country and it has also given me the opportunity to get to know more of the membership.
It has indeed been a privilege and an honour to wear the Captain’s badge although I have got to admit once I was aware how much it was insured for I was always relieved to get home and put it back in its box for safe keeping.
To be captain of Lanarkshire in centenary year has been an experience that I will treasure and I thank you all for your support and good humour throughout my time in office. I really have enjoyed every minute of the last 2 years.
However it is now time to move on
We now embark on the next 100years and I am delighted to be able to pass this honour on to my vice Captain Lesley. Lesley is very knowledgeable on matters on and off the course and will make an excellent captain for our county. It therefore gives me great pleasure to ask Lesley to accept this badge and I wish her well for the next 2 years.

Captain Lesley Lloyd's Speech:

Having been a member of LLCGA for many years I have always enjoyed playing in county events. Over the years I have progressed from caddy to team player and now to Captain. It is an honour and privilege to be leading LLCGA into its 101st year and I hope to uphold the traditions established by my predecessors over the last hundred years.
I am slightly nervous and apprehensive about what lies ahead, however, I enjoy a challenge, and on the advice of many Past Captains I hope to enjoy the journey ahead of me. What can I say about May?
Meticulous, organised, prepared, precise, thorough … I now know what qualities are required to be a successful Captain.
May, I would like to thank you for your immense contribution to Lanarkshire over the last two years but in particular in ensuring our Centenary Year was a resounding success.
You had the foresight to raise funds for our Centenary year. The proceeds from your endeavours enabled us to have two very special events – the Centenary Dinner and Texas Scramble, a Centenary gift for every member and even a vine yard in Carluke producing our own brand of wine!
As well as taking care of all things Lanarkshire, you managed to play some excellent golf during the last 2 years. In 2008 May was the West of Scotland Vets Champion, a member of the victorious Scottish Team at the Vets Jamboree and earlier this year played for the Scottish Vets against Ireland at Cruden Bay. May, by her own admission, was not happy that her handicap had crept up but in the final County competition of her Captaincy at Lanark in September she shot one over par and is now back down to 4. Well done May!
May, I hope you carry your good form into 2010 and on behalf of the members of LLCGA thank you once again for your leadership, dedication and commitment during the last two years.

She then introduced her vice-captain, Fiona Scott of Bothwell Castle as follows:
Fiona tells me she has been a member of LLCGA since she was a young girl and has played for the County Team. She is a Past Captain and the current champion at Bothwell Castle Golf Club and was recently appointed Chairman (not sure about the political correctness of title in today’s society) of the West of Scotland Girls’ Golfing Association.
Fiona, I am pleased to have you as my Vice Captain. I believe you have much to offer Lanarkshire and I look forward to working with you during the next two years.
Installation of new Honorary President
As you know Margo’s term as President has ended and it is my pleasure to introduce Ann Prentice as our new Honorary President.
Ann is an Honorary member of Bothwell Castle Golf Club where she has been Ladies champion on numerous occasions. She is also a member of the Ladies’ Golf Club, Troon where she organised the Helen Holm Tournament for many years.
Ann was Captain of Lanarkshire from 1973-75, played for the County Team from 1963 – 1996 and was County champion in 1996.
In 1982 and 1983 she was Chairman of the Scottish Ladies’ Golfing Association and from 1985-1995 was the Scottish Representative on the LGU Standard Scratch Committee and a member of the LGU Training Committee.
Ladies, I am sure you will agree Ann is very worthy of this honour.

No comments: