Friday 22 June 2012

Pamela withdraws from British Open

Report by Colin Farquarson
Scotland's hopes of providing a home winner of next week's British women's open amateur golf championship at Carnoustie have been dealt a body blow with the withdrawal of Curtis Cup Scot Pamela Pretswell
Pamela said today:
"I unfortunately picked up a vomiting bug on the Monday night at Nairn before the Curtis Cup match began.
"I had to stay in bed on the Tuesday and only played nine holes on the Wednesday. I have sadly not yet really fully recovered from this bug. It has not been nice at all. I have only just started eating full meals again. I hardly ate during the Curtis Cup, which was not exactly the best preparation.
"So I am really disappointed that I do not feel I am well enough again yet to play in the 'British.' I was especially looking forward to this year as it is at Carnoustie - one of my favourite courses after playing it in the Ricoh Women's British Open there last year."
The last Scottish player to win the Ladies British open amateur championship was Alison (Rose) Davidson in 1997 when the event was played at a Scottish venue - Cruden Bay. Alison from Stirling beat fellow Scot Mhairi McKay by 4 and 3 in the final.